Here is the list of the Missions of the Day. Please select one and set out upon it
REPEL SPACE INVADERS
Several ECM-equipped Kimi ships have been seen in your area. Time to put them out of action. Since we can't scramle a flight of Vindies, it's up to you
Electronic countermeasers or ECM consists of devices that do things that have an effect on the ability to detect, track or target a (usually war)craft. This can be done in several ways that use several strategies.
The Kimi aka SCEPTRE ake AstraNostra, rely heavily on ECM in their attack craft. The main typpes of ECM devices they use are:
- Invisitibility to electronic sensors. While not easily done, the lesser version is known as STEALTH
- Spoofing. to change the appearance or "signature" of the incoming craft to look like something else, In the twentieth century, the ideal thing was a seagull.
- Chatter. to generate many images, only one of which is the real thing and let the enemy try and figure it out.
- Chaff: to emit so much "noise" that the target's ability to figure out what is coming in is made inoperative.
- Jamming. this term, originally applied to masking or blocking a communications transmission, refers in ECM'ese to forced lockon of an enemy targetting device onto a false target then preventing the targetting device from leaving the bogus target.
- STEALTH: Devices that make them hard to detect by attacing craft. the very large arrays of pseudo-opticals can find them. When one of those is incoming, we try to place you where you will have a full optical background. like the arm of the Galaxy, Trackinger's Comet, a planet or planetoid and a nebula. The craft ought show up against this background. If we can't then the idea is to set things up to detect what is not there: Use your Electro-scope to detect the cosmic ray background, the stealth craft will block that out and show up on your Electr-scope.
- NOISEBOX: This generates a pattern of white noise that shows up as screen white-out or what the ancient TV people called "snow". The ship usually shows up or "paints" as a different pattern that, with effort, is visible.
- CHATTERBOX: This opto-electronic device generates many images of the enemy craft from which you must dicern the real one
CADET LEVEL PRACTICE
Even the best need to practice their most basic skills. That is why you'll see the Commander of the SP flying practice runs with the rankest of cadets and running the same missions, too. Of course, it is not to the bad since it adds to the cohesion of Space Patrol for the "kids" to see the "Old Man" flying the same tricks as they are.
FLIGHT SKILLS PRACTICE
A Kimi warship has been sptted and is preparing to attack with missiles. You are needed to run the defense.
MISSILE DEFENSE: LUNAR FLEET BASE
MISSILE DEFENSE: PLANETARY